Montreal Steak with a Smoked Gouda Onion Sauce
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 20
Total Time: 30
So I’ve never actually been to Montreal, or Canada for that matter. It’s on my list and I promise I will get there soon but opportunities (Like going to Italy) keep getting in the way. Did you know Toronto is only a 15 hour drive from Atlanta? Yeah, roadtrippppp. Okay, anyways, my friend Andy gave me some inspiration for this dish. For some reason, I’ve used Montreal Steak Seasoning for a while now and it never resonated that it was named after Montreal, Canada. MIND. BLOWN. Steak is literally a staple in our house…actually meat in general. We have it for almost every meal unless we eat seafood or are hungover and eat pizza. I love adding sauces to glaze my steak in though to give it a little flair. I wanted to present a recipe that was not only super fast and easy to make, but that represented the wonderful country of Canada AYE! The caramelized onions mixed with the smokey flavor of the Gouda just makes your taste buds jump for fucking joy. If you can’t make your way to Drake’s home country at least make an awesome steak dinner to hold you over until you can!
Ingredients for Steak:
Montreal Steak Seasoning (Spicy)
Ingredients for Smoked Gouda Onion Sauce:
2 T butter
1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
Smoked Gouda Cheese
- VERY IMPORTANT– Take steak out beforehand and let it sit until it reaches room temperature (I let mine sit for like 20 minutes since it was already thawed)
- While you do that, you can throw a couple scoops of butter in a small pan, let melt and add chopped onions. Leave on low stirring occasionally so they get nice and caramelized for about 15-20 minutes.
- After the steak is room temp., season with rock salt and Montreal steak seasoning, then press it into the steak, flip over and repeat.
- Throw those bad boys on the grill. Cook to your liking (We do about 4 minutes on each side) but that depends on thickness and how you like your steak cooked.
- While that cooks, add in some cut up cubes of smoked gouda. Let it melt slowly until thick, then add in some whipping cream. Just enough to loosen up the thick cheese. Add until desired consistency then turn on SUPER LOW so it stays warm.
- Get the steak off the grill, pour over sauce and add some cracked black pepper.
- You can serve this with roasted potatoes (just toss in some olive oil and the montreal steak seasoning, really easy!)
- Enjoy the fuck out of it because I know we did.
- Don’t forget to let steak get to room temperature. IT HELPS I PROMISE.
- I said ROCK SALT. If you don’y have rock salt in your cabinet then you’ve been cooking steak wrong forever. Course salt will do but it’s just not the same. Buy you some damn rock salt.
- Pair with a nice red wine if you’re into that.