Festival season is alive and kickin’…I want to say the same thing about you! I have your best interest in mind and want to let you in on some secrets. SHHHH. Since festivals hold such a dear place to my heart, AND since I have gone to tons of them…my extensive knowledge is something I need to share with you.
Whether it’s your first or your 50th, you are bound to make some mistakes but fear not because I am here to help you avoid those mishaps. Here are the festival fuck-ups you make & how to avoid them!
Festivals seem to always happen when it’s hot as balls outside. Not sure anyone loves to be drenched in their own sweat dancing around but whatever. Water plays a lead role in making it through an entire event. Stay hydrated you thirsty asses. How might you ask?
- Bring your own empty water bottle: Most festivals nowadays have free filling stations making it easy to stay hydrated.
- A Camel Pack: These stealthy pouches serve as your own watering hole AND backpack to store things in. Best of both worlds. It fits securely on your back with a tiny water hose that sits on your shoulder. Grab that shit and get to drinkin’!
- Stop when you need to!: Don’ overdo it, you’ll ruin your entire time and anyone else whose with you. Take a break from the sun, find some shade and drink some water! You will thank me later!
Not booking accommodations ahead of time
I will never understand why people wait until the last damn second to do things. Blows my mind that people are willing to pay so much extra money for the sheer fact they couldn’t get their shit together in time. No need to wait until the week of to plan everything…if you decided you’re going then plan immediately! They always seem to creep up on you!
- Start looking as soon as you know you’re going!: Especially if you are looking on Airbnb or something similar! Hosts know the popular travel times within their city so prices can go up fast! If you look far in advance, however, you are less likely to encounter those. When you wait, the pickin’s get slim! You might also find that a hotel will be overbooked or the location might be farther out. Making the entire process a hell of a lot more expensive! Don’t procrastinate!
- Get a group to help cut costs: A large group makes costs go down significantly. Make sure you figure out whose going, correlate a place and book ahead! WAY CHEAPER!
Not going prepared
It’s hard to remember every single little thing you need, especially if the festival involves camping. What a nightmare. The worst thing you can do is wait until the last-minute. You are way more likely to forget very important things that should be obvious! Avoid this by:
- Having your ID with you at all times: I have witnessed so many people who get to the front of the line and realize they don’t have their ID. I actually did it at Tomorrow World, except the car I left it in was a mile walk away. You better believe that since then I haven’t left it behind!
- Read all rules of the festival: Don’t get stuck having to throw away gum, selfie sticks or even your GoPro! Even if you don’t have to throw it away, you have to take it back and put it somewhere. Just make sure to read all the guidelines so it makes entry as smooth as possible!!
- Make a million lists: Even if you aren’t camping…make a list. In fact, make 5 lists! Go over them, add and subtract from them. Trust me, you will hate not having some of those valuable items because you didn’t write it down. The power of pen and paper!
Picking the wrong group
I love my friends. I do. But honestly, I can’t go to a festival with 90% of them. Actually, I hate going in a group period! Unless you reallllllllly vibe with these people on a daily basis, don’t do it.
- Pick a festie bestie: If you read my Why you should have a festive bestie post you would understand why this is so important! One person is easy to keep up with!
- Go with someone/people you trust: Let’s hope nothing ever happens to you at a festival, but if it does you need to be around someone or a group you trust!
- Delete the needy people: This goes back to my festie bestie post but seriously, needy=negativity. I CANNOT STAND A NEEDY PERSON. Ctrl+ALT+ delete!
Getting too lit
I admit, I am usually this person. With alcohol at least. You don’t know how many times my excessiveness has ruined other people’s time…music festival or not. Don’t be that person who get’s faded before you even arrive!
- Pace yourself: Festivals can last up to 7 days!! Imagine you go hard the first two and can’t enjoy the rest of your time? Even if you only go for a day, pace yourself so you can remember and enjoy the whole experience!
- Don’t take things from strangers: This can result in some serious shit! People who are drunk or on drugs might seem like the nicest people ever, but it could be a front. Be safe so you don’t take or drink something random that could be harmful! (Who am I to tell you what to do though? Do as you please bitches, just know I warned you!)
Not having battery life on your phone
This is especially important if you are with a big group or meeting up with people. No one likes to be stranded at a festival with no phone battery! You start to stress out, miss part of the show and have to frantically ask randoms for their phone. PLUS, no battery = no pictures!!
- Carry an external charger: Top 5 on my list of things to bring! While searching for service, trying to text with no connection AND film/take pictures, your battery life with die a fast death. An external charger doesn’t have to be big and bulky either! Just something compact that holds a couple charges.
- Trade off taking pictures and videos: A hard one to remember, but have your friend take some pictures for half and you take some for the other. Everyone can share super easy on the Iphone via Airdrop! This isn’t likely to happen but it’s a thought!
Polluting the environment
This issue has been around forever, with no signs of slowing down or getting better. Come on ya fucks, this is our Earth that we inhibit! Let’s no pollute it with our laziness. If you can take the time and money to prepare for these events, you can take an extra couple minutes to help pick up your mess.
- Pick up your trash!: No shit Sherlock! If you camp, bring some trash bags and leave your campsite spotless. No one wants to have to clean up after you, you filthy slob. Pick your shit up and throw it away! Even if the event isn’t camping, just make it a point not to pollute.
I wish more festivals adopted the who “Burning Man” mentality where you leave no trace! These would be much better places!
Not expressing yourself
Come on guys, this is your time to shine! Festivals help you break away from the daily hustle and bustle of bullshit. Let your weird colors fly!
- Dress up! Buy, create, DIY a costume, shirt or whatever! Just let your creativeness flow! This also has to do with the fact of Why you should attend a music festival in the first place!!
- Make a totem! Just one other way to showcase your great ideas. Also, the best way for your group to find you in a crowd!
Okay my proficient festie goers…did you learn something from this? Hopefully! You better have. Just be smart okay? and obviously HAVE A FUCKING BLAST. Know some more festival fuck-ups and ways to avoid them? I need to know. Asking for a friend. Leave them in the comments below! Until our next encounter…
xo Bonvoyage Bitches